Making a Complaint to the Practice

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise by speaking with the person concerned and we would encourage you to try this approach first or ask to speak to the Practice Manager.

Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily. In any event, this should be:

  • • Within 12 months of the incident,
  • • or within 12 months of you discovering

that you have a problem.

State your case clearly giving as much detail as you can.

If you are a registered patient you can complain about your own care. You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority. See the separate section in this leaflet.

Send your written complaint to:

The Practice Manager

Brunston and Lydbrook Practice


Coleford GL16 8HJ

What we do next

We look to settle complaints as soon as possible.

We will acknowledge receipt within 3 working days. Following this your complaint will be looked into by the responsible person within the practice who will be one of the partners. They will look at the aspects of your complaint and contact you via letter with a plan of how the practice hopes to deal with your complaint. The letter will also give the length of time within which we anticipate your complaint will be addressed and hopefully resolved.

When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this, and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if your complaint relates to a clinical matter.

Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality. If you wish to

make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written

consent of the patient to confirm that they

are unhappy with their treatment and that

we can deal with someone else about it.

Please ask at reception for the Consent

Form which contains a suitable authority

for the patient to sign to enable the

complaint to proceed.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident it may

still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the precise details of the circumstances which prevent this in your covering letter.

Please note that we are unable to discuss

any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above


We may still need to correspond direct with the patient, or may be able to deal direct

with the third party, and this depends on

the wording of the authority provided.

Are you dissatisfied with the Outcome

You have the right to approach the Ombudsman.

The contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Millbank Tower




Tel: 0345 0154033 If


You may also approach ICAS for help or advice. The Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) is based at:

Carers Federation ICAS

The Executive Centre Newcastle

Cuthbert House

City Road, All Saints

Newcastle Upon Tyne


Tel: 0808 802 3000

Referring your complaint to the Care Trust

We would hope to resolve your complaint within the Practice but you have the option to complain to the Practice or NHS England.

NHS England is the commissioner of primary care services (such as GP and dental practices) and, if you prefer, you can send your complaint about these services to the NHS England at the address below.

However, if a complaint is made to the Practice and is not resolved satisfactorily the procedure does not allow the complaint to be referred to the Care Trust for review.

The contact details are:

Tel 0300 311 2233

Emai This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

In writing NHS England

             PO Box 16738


             B97 9PT